Sunday, May 19, 2013

You are my sunshine party

So I'm a little past due (isn't that how I start out all of my blog posts?!) but I wanted to immortalize some pictures of Harper's first birthday party!  As anyone who knows me knows well- I'm super uncrafty.  Like ridiculously bad at all crafts.  I have been known to modge podge my clothes (which doesn't come out by the way), I am genuinely unable to calculate the dimensions of a picture or anything to space stuff and my hubby has actually thrown away DIY gifts that I have given him...and to be honest I would have judged him if he didn't.  Needless to say any crafting endeavor that I embark upon requires extreme caution and has a 90% chance of ending in complete disaster.  Maybe that's when I actually do get something kind of a tiny bit right, I'm giddily excited...like a kid getting in A in 3rd grade art.  And maybe that's why all of this stuff is still hanging in our living room...even though Harper's birthday party was 3 weeks ago.  Or maybe that's because I'm a really bad house keeper and I procrastinate...but that's subject matter for another blog.  Anyways- for the next few moments, please consider this blog my online refrigerator upon which I will post my art work. 

The theme for Harper's party was "You Are my Sunshine" because she is...and because who doesn't love yellow and pink?!  We wanted to proudly display her monthly progression shots from her first year.  Back in January, I found this trellis for $7.99 at Lowe's.  I counted that there were 12 slots, which was perfect.  I painted in pink...and then repainted pinker when the first coat looked like c-rap.  I used yellow scrap book paper as the backing behind each of the pictures.  

Matthew had the genius idea to make the tulle sunshine...and miracle of miracles, I actually pulled it off!  It made the perfect mantle piece. 

Okay- so I realize that I didn't do this...but I do have to brag on my beautiful one year old daughter.  I love this picture that was taken of her.  I can't believe how big she's gotten in one year!  

At midnight the night before the party, my very organized and crafty brother-in-law's girlfriend helped me string these up...because any doorway looks more inviting with a picture banner...and distracts from the toy clutter! 

And speaking of crafts that I didn't do- check out Harper's pretty cake!  By completely brilliant friend, Jackie Sperling made these cakes.  She is so talented and does an awesome job at any cake she's ever made.  Merritt's has nothing on Jackie! 

I had a yellow vanity growing up that was actually my mom's from when she was a little girl.  It's yellow and I  had intended to refinish it for the party (see notes in Paragraph 1 regarding procrastination).  At the very last second, I decided to go ahead and use it.  This was on the front porch (it's not still there, I promise...I do have some dignity!)  It turned out pretty good I think!  
 
We used it for the party favors which was a framed printable with everyone's name.  

Gavin practiced for WEEKS singing Harper "Happy Birthday".  Most mornings at breakfast he would sing to her and then act like he was blowing out her candle.  He was very prepared when the big moment came.  I love this picture of him singing his little heart out.
(and there's my dad in the background.  Hi Pops!)

Harper wasn't quite into smash caking it..she was a little bewildered by having icing on her hands. 
 She ended up having several bites later that her daddy fed her with a fork and she loved.  Any disinterest shown during the smash cake festivities was a disinterest in being told to eat messily in front of big groups of people and hopefully a dislike for being messy...which may help her be better at housecleaning then me! 

All in all, fun was had by all (at least that's what they tell me).  
We ate good food....
got loved on with sweet presents 
and got our very first pet!
 

We felt very blessed to share the day (and the prep- shout out to my inlaws, aka the party fairies and my super awesomely talented sister Katie who actually is very good at all crafts and who made a birthday banner which I cannot believe I didn't get a picture of it- but it too is still hanging in the kitchen!

And that about does it.  The icing on top of all of the cake is our own little Miss Sunshine who is a true gift from God and makes us happy when skies are gray.  

1 comment:

  1. And you also forgot to mention in the "acknowledgements" section thanks to me for your yellow necklace... :-D

    ReplyDelete