Saturday, June 1, 2013

Prayers for my Children: Walk with intention

I am supposed to be folding laundry right now.  

I had a list of several things I was supposed to be doing while my kids took their nap today.  It wasn't an ambitious list at all.  Cut up a cantaloupe, fold laundry, learn the harmony to a song..  No where on the list did it say "write a blog post"...but that's what I'm going to do.  Because if there's one thing I've learned about laundry it's that it's ALWAYS there...I guess for that matter so is a blog, but I'll use this as my excuse to fold laundry later.  

There are a great many things that are more difficult to do with two small children in tow.  In fact, I can't think of very many things that are actually easier to do with two small children in tow.  Now I did not say that I can't think of a great many things that aren't more ENOYABLE with two small children in tow, but I can't imagine that anyone will argue with me that two small children make things a tad more challenging.  Things that are typically simple- like walking, going to the grocery store, using the restroom.  Things that would normally take nary a second thought have now become an ultimate fete of strategy, discipline and good parenting.  One of the true tests of my parenting abilities is when I am by myself at church with both kids, getting from the sanctuary to the children's area on Sunday mornings...and from the children's area to the sanctuary on Wednesday night.  Argh- just the thought of it makes me tired and gives me the feeling of nervous sweat down my back...the gross kind of sweat that makes you feel like you stink.  Gross.  Sometimes I actually find it easier and quicker to pick up both kids and carry them, one in each arm from Point A to Point B.  But other times I will hold Harper and trust that Gavin will walk next to me.  I hate to say it, but Gavin meanders.  Dawdles.  Lolly gags.  Piddles.  Much like his mother is doing now to avoid the folding of clothes.  I find myself saying nonsense things to him to get him to walk straight and with as much intensity as I am.  Things like "Come on Gavin, walk with intention."  

Of course this means nothing to him and he keeps right along piddling and pondering the intersection of floor tiles or where the water fountain water comes from.  All things that are well and good for a 2-year-old.  

And while it's pretty much nonsense to say that to a 2-year-old on a long trek from the Point A to Point B in  a church building, I guess one of the greatest prayers for my children is that they will walk with intention through life.  My generation and the generations that follow...and those that probably preceded...are filled with a lot of people floating.  Floating from idea to idea, whim to whim, happiness to happiness.  No roots, no intention, no real purpose.  My prayers for Gavin and Harper is that they are rooted in Christ and know their Purpose in Him from a young age.  That they walk with intention and with a pace of purpose.  

Ephesians 4:16- God, I pray that Gavin and Harper would walk worthy of the calling that they have received.
Ephesians 3:14-1 (par) For this reason I kneel before the Father ...and I pray that out of His glorious riches He may strengthen Gavin and Harper with power through His Spirit in their inner beings so that Christ may dwell in their hearts through faith.  I pray that Gavin and Harper, being rooted and established in love, may have power...and know His Love that surpasses knowledge and may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.  
 
 
And hopefully when our kids are walking around (with intention I might add) for the next week with wrinkly clothes- it will be worth it.  Some piddling has to be okay, right?!

No comments:

Post a Comment