Saturday, July 30, 2011

Fathers Day: Then & Now

For those of you who believe that there is a holiday in between Mother's Day and the 4th of July that is intended to honor Fathers, you might be correct; however at our house we were a tad tardy this year.  I know, I know.  I hang my head in shame after the lovely Mothers Day that Matthew provided for me.  I do have good reason since we got home from our Cancun vacation on the real Fathers Day gave Matthew a "raincheck" for his Father's day festivities.  Granted, I didn't think that the rain check would have to be redeemed nearly a month and half later, but Matthew was celebrated none-the-less. 
THEN:
On the ACTUAL Fathers day, we did come home from vacation as stated before, but we also gathered with family to dedicate Gavin.  Our church held its Parent/Baby dedication meant to celebrate our commitment to raising Gavin in a Godly home.  Cox and Jeffers family members came to support us and Gavin was the man of the hour. 
The dedication focused around two questions that we as parents were to ask ourselves.  When Gavin leaves the house in 18 years, what kind of person do we want him to be and what are we doing today to help him become that person. 
Matthew and I answered the first question that we want Gavin to 1) know who God is and 2) know who he is in Christ.  We have claimed Psalm 71:17-18 as verses for Gavin's life.  They say:
"Since my youth, O God you have taught me, and to this day I declare your marvelous deeds.  Even when I am old and gray,  do not forsake me, O God.  Till I declare your power to the next generation, your might to all who are to come."
NOW:
Fast forward a month and a half.  This past Friday we decided to celebrate Fathers Day...I must say it was mostly a disaster and mostly because of me.  I got Matthew a gift that was the wrong size and color...and I attempted to make him a homemade gift that no one on the face of the earth should ever have to see.  In fact it's made it's way to the trash and after trash day on Monday morning, we should feel rather confident that no one will ever have to view the calamity that was Matthew's 2011 Father's Day gift.  Let's just say that after this, I have made a convenant with Matthew to never to attempt DIY-ness ever again.  I offered to paint him a rainbow to symbolize this covenant, but all paint brushes, paint and art supplies have been removed from the Cox household. 
We did manage however to have a fun day despite my poor gift giving skills. We headed to the golf range bright and early before the day had the chance to peak into the triple digits.
There, Gavin and I played while Matthew drove ranges..or whatever the technical term is for what you do at the driving range.  Gavin had a great time and has a new appreciation for all things golf. 
Despite the late and not-so-perfect day (yes, I am returning the badly bought gift and replacing the made gift with a non-made gift) we did what Fathers Day was intended for: celebrating the wonderful father that Matthew is to Gavin.  I must take a moment to brag on my hubby. 
Matthew has been a wonderful dad from the word "go!" He fully embraced his role and has been not only an amazing support to this scatter brained and emotional mommy, but has been a loving and caring daddy to a son that I know he loves with all of his heart. In a world where daddy's don't often embrace their role and choose to be absent, whether literally or figuratively, I am overwelmed by a teammate that is there for his son.  There is nothing too great or too small that he will help in.  I look back since day one on him being there at every dr's appointment when I was pregnant, sitting with me through every contraction when I was in labor and waking up with me at every feeding when Gavin was first born.  Not only is he there for us, which is half the battle, but he's daily doing things in his life to make himself a better husband and father to help Gavin become a Godly man that loves Jesus too.
Which brings this blog full circle, the items in the "then" portion are more likely to be accomplished by a daddy who depicts the traits of a Godly man in the "now" portion.  I am happy that Gavin has a daddy that he can look up to and that loves him as a father should love a son. 
But that does remind me...I think I still have to get my own dad a present...

No comments:

Post a Comment